Make Your Home Fireproof

Dec 21, 2012 by

One thing that has always worried me as a parent is making my home fireproof.  We have fire ladders (highly recommended) in each of the children’s rooms and always check our smoke detectors.  However, there are experts in this area and we’ve found one for this week’s guest post from Karen Clark.  You can check out her other work at

Foolproof Tips to Make the Home Fireproof

Take a minute and count to 23.

Have you finished? Good, because that’s how often a fire department has to respond to a fire somewhere in this country. In this day and age, you need to be prepared for anything and that includes making sure the home is fireproof especially if you’re a prepper relying on yourself.

You do this by taking action to minimize the chances of a fire in your home. There are lots of ways to go about this and, listed below, are just a few suggestions to help reduce the chances of a house fire and the dangers to yourself and your family.

Store Your Combustibles Somewhere Safe

Combustibles include starter logs for the fireplace, matches, charcoal, old newspapers, yard debris – pretty much anything that can catch fire easily. You usually want to try to store these things somewhere away from the home. For most people a storage shed will suffice – wherever you choose to store these flammable things, you must also make sure that it’s something you can secure against both accidents and arson.

Keep the Yard Clear of Debris

Especially during the fall, it’s imperative that you rake up those leaves and snatch up those branches and twigs. If not for the sake of having a clean lawn than the fact that clearing up all that debris can greatly reduce the risk of a fire.

Let’s face it, not everyone is so conscientious when it comes to other people’s property. How many times have you seen someone driving ahead of you just roll down that window and flick out a cigarette butt? Imagine that happening in your front lawn and you start to have an understanding why leaving those dry leaves and twigs out there isn’t such a great idea.

Never Overload a Power Outlet

Just because a port has two power outlets doesn’t necessarily mean you should occupy both of them at the exact same time – especially with two high-energy appliances. You also should never try to jury-rig numerous plugs on one single outlet. I’m talking about the kinds of plugs that have their own sockets so you can piggyback off them. Power strips are a much safer alternative.

You should also unplug any unnecessary appliances when they are no longer in use. This not only reduces the chance of a fire but it can help save you some money as some appliances – even in the OFF position – have been known to still draw power. We’re talking computers and game consoles, mostly.

Be Mindful of Open Flames

Candles are great for lots of different things like setting the mood or clearing the air, but you should never leave any kind of open flame unattended. Even if you’re just going into another room to make a phone call – you should always extinguish the flame. And never bring a candle into your bedroom when it’s time to go to sleep.

As for dealing with the matches, after you have lit the candle, you might want to either let the spent match sit in the sink or douse it with some cold water. You want to be absolutely certain that the match you used can’t re-ignite and start a fire in the trashcan.

Don’t Get Careless During the Holidays

A vast majority of house fires occur during the holidays and it’s really no wonder when you stop and think about all the different decorations. Faulty strings of light, dried-up Christmas trees that haven’t been watered enough, and lots and lots of Christmas cards and wrapping paper – these are all potential fire hazards when not dealt with properly.

That’s not to suggest or say that you can’t make the most of the holiday season, but you need to be on your guard. Never ever leave the Christmas lights (both indoors and outdoors) on overnight or if you’re traveling. It might also be prudent to invest in some fire-retardant decorations as well.

And, really, those are just a couple suggestions to help you get started. Check out this article, too, if you’re looking for additional advice. Don’t become another statistic – make sure you’re doing everything you can to reduce the risk of a fire.

Related Posts

Share This


  1. Ditch Doctor

    With all due respect, I have been a firefighter for 33 years and there is no such thing as “fireproof”. Everything burns when the fire gets hot enough.
    You can get fire resistant or fire safe but not fire proof.
    Smoke detectors are a MUST in every home and teach your kids fire safety as well.

    • Ditch – thanks for the comment. I agree that the word “fireproof” is a marketing term. Good point and thanks for the comment about fire safety. Always great to hear it from a firefighter. Happy holidays.

  2. Don’t forget about getting good fire extinguishers and learning how to use them.

    • Howard – absolutely. I know of many stories where people didn’t know how to operate a fire extinguisher and it cost them. Thanks for the tip.